We will be a catalyst for critical dialogue and exchange on the goals, targets, indicators and make recommendations for improving this global effort for transformational change. This requires addressing the root causes of why we are in the state we are in today, as well as mobilizing the needed shift in consciousness and behavior to implement critical SDGs e.g. sustainable consumption and production; equitable distribution of opportunity; economic, social and climate justice. We are taking initial steps to form a Unity Cluster under the UN NGO Major Group, cultivating working relationships with various UN member state and civil society negotiators so we can lobby effectively to offer new visions and strategies with regard to implementing Agenda 2030.
As is often the case with a fundamental shift in thinking, the key to the success, or the failure, of SDG2030 is found not in the policies themselves, but in how they’re implemented. SDG2030 exists as a challenge of methods. Through its seventeen distinct initiatives, we are challenged to balance the necessity of a safe, sustainable, and equitable society that preserves nature’s harmony, with the responsibility of preserving our humanness and our most cherished human values. Our ability to find this delicate balance is defining the legacy that we’re leaving for our children today, and beyond.
There are five core strategies the EL Synergy Circle will pursue:
- Articulating and promulgating an evolutionary approach toward environmental and social health that is targeted directly toward those involved in or otherwise influencing the framing of the SDGs. This will be done through publications, video presentations, and other forms of dissemination and communication.
- Conducting meetings and convenings with key SDG leaders to gain their alignment and commitment to evolutionary principles.
- Assisting SDG leaders in the application of those principles in the arenas where they have influence.
- Equipping other ELs and then a widening expanse of colleagues in strategies to embrace and apply the evolutionary principles to SDG efforts and beyond.
- Fostering networking and synergy among circle members to strengthen our efforts to support this SDG Thought Leader Circle collaboration.